What is BRT
(Bus Rapid Transit)?
BRT is a form of fixed route bus service that combines features like
bus-only lanes and bus priority at traffic signals to provide faster,
more efficient transportation. BRT includes improvements to infrastructure,
vehicles and scheduling in order to provide higher quality bus service
What are the benefits?
• Faster, more efficient bus service
• Increased reliability
• The ability to build and improve incrementally
• The flexibility to serve the suburbs as well as densely populated
• Improvement of alternative transit, fostering increased ridership
Contributing to nation’s effort to reduce oil usage
are the possible methods?
• Bus-only lanes
• Bus priority at traffic signals
• Less frequent stops
• Off-vehicle fare collection methods
• Unique vehicle branding for easy service identification
• Enhanced stops including designated stations for improved boarding
else is using BRT?
Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority
Lane Transit District
of Transportation Federal Transit Administration
Rapid Transit Central (BRTC)
Public Transportation Association Transit Resource Guide
BRT Policy Center